THE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR LANDLORDS
ASSURED SHORTHOLD TENANCIES
BACK TO MENU
An Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST is automatically in place if:-
- the property being rented is private
- The tenant is an individual, a group of individuals or a family.
- the tenancy started on or after 15 January 1989
- the property is the tenants main accommodation
- the landlord doesn’t live in the property
Whilst the AST doesn’t have to be in writing it is strongly recommended it is, to save problems if it goes wrong.
If an agreement is oral, and it can be proven the tenant has paid rent and the landlord has accepted it, an AST is in place, and all the rules about an AST apply.
Rules regarding an AST:-